This blog series is updated every week with charts that focus on: B2B sales and marketing, industrial technologies (no consumer stuff) and areas that we play in! Two charts will be featured each week with some insights and thoughts from the author.
Week of December 5th
What are the U.S. Digital Advertising Spending Plans for 2016 vs 2017?
- Check to see if the types of visitors coming to your site come from mobile or desktop devices
- Ask key stakeholders in your company why you want to generate traffic to your site from mobile devices
- Make sure you have a strategic reason to invest in mobile advertising and you can measure the impact of your mobile campaign
- Make sure you have a responsive web site so it works well and looks good on a desktop and mobile device
What Channels Do Marketers Use for Product Launches?
- Study focused on B2C companies but it’s important to learn from B2C especially in areas like social where they’ve been ahead of B2B focused organizations
- Search engine marketing plays a minor role taking a back seat to social media where word of mouth/mouse where peers, friends and influencers matter more
- The study doesn’t break down which social media networks/sites were used. It would differ based on the brand, target audience and current social footprint of the brand
Week of December 12th
B2B Marketers Continue to Have Challenges with Demand Generation Campaigns
- There is no common definition of a lead. A lead can be a company or contact that potentially will buy from you that you’ve uncovered. It can be a company or contact that found you, followed you or filled out a form on your website. You need to define what a lead is in your organization
- There is no issue finding “lead sources”. You first need to define what a lead is and then go find them and make it easy for them to find you
- Develop key pieces of content that addresses the needs of a buyer during the sales cycle. Also, realize that it takes time to generate new business. You need to show your company knows what they are doing and that the prospective customer can benefit from a relationship with a key group and/or individual within your company
Are Marketers Concerned About the Reliability of Mobile Data?
- There is a disconnect between agencies and their clients when it comes to mobile marketing
- Many marketers don’t have confidence in mobile advertising. Ad platforms, agencies and tech providers need to step up
- In general, marketers believe they are not seeing the benefits of marketing technologies. Then why do they plan to invest more?
Week of December 19th
Will B2B Marketers Use Artificial Intelligence for Marketing?
- Potential use cases for AI include sales assistants and content development
- Most B2B marketers are hung up with how to integrate the technology instead of how AI will benefit them, their company and customers
- Watch how the media will adopt AI to automate articles and what Google is up to in this space as it relates to search.
Where Will Marketers Increase Their Spending in Digital Advertising in 2017?
- Companies will focus more of their digital marketing spend on mobile even though there are concerns about mobile data quality
- Growth in search and display advertising will be much slower
- If you can’t map back your digital marketing activities to leads and generating revenue you’re wasting your money